Voiding Cystogram (VCUG) Scan
This scan is to evaluate the bladder and ureters.
- You will have a catheter inserted into your bladder. This is inserted so that a small amount of radioactive material can be injected through the catheter. The radioactive dose does not contain a dye or contrast so patients rarely have a reaction.
- The scan takes about 1 hour. You must arrive 1 hour prior to your scheduled time so that the catheter can be inserted.
Inpatient and Outpatient Preparation Instructions:
- There is no preparation for this test.
- You may take your medications as usual.
- Your abdomen must be free of barium.
For your convenience we may schedule more than one test on the same day. This can be confusing because the tests may have different preparation instructions. If you are an outpatient and don’t understand the instructions please call Radiology. If you are an inpatient the nursing staff will correlate your test with the preparation.
For Your Information:
The Radiologist (x-ray doctor) will read the scan and send the results to your doctor.
There is a charge for the isotope injection that must be ordered before the scan. If it is necessary to cancel the scan, please call the Radiology department at 419-394-3335 extension 3528 as soon as possible.