A voiding cystogram is an x-ray test used to image the bladder.
Preparing For Your VCU:
- The day before the test, you must:
- Have a liquid supper with no milk products.
- The day before the test at 2:00 pm, take 4 Dulcolax tablets. (You can get them from the drug store.)
- Pediatrics check with your doctor (typically no laxatives).
- Day of test:
- Liquid breakfast.
- Nothing to eat or drink 2 hours before the test.
- You can take your normal medication; inform x-ray if you take Glucophage.
- After registration, you will be taken to the outpatient clinic where a Foley catheter will be inserted into your bladder.
- You will be asked to change into a hospital gown.
- Please inform radiology if you are allergic to contrast (x-ray dye).
- Inform your doctor if there is any chance of pregnancy.
- The Foley catheter will be removed when the exam is complete.
- Relax and follow the directions given to you by the Medical Imaging department.
- You will be able to leave the x-ray department when the exam is finished.
- The Radiologist (x-ray doctor) will “read” the study and send results to your doctor. Your doctor will share the results with you.
If you have any questions concerning your test, please call 419-394-3335 ext. 3550 for assistance