Liver & Spleen Scan
This scan checks for chronic liver and spleen disease.
- You will receive an injection in your hand or arm. The injection is not a dye or contrast. The injection is a low level radioactive material and patients rarely have a reaction. If you are an inpatient, we may use your existing IV or INT for the injections.
- The scan takes approximately 1 hour.
- You will be required to lie on your back for this scan.
Inpatient and Outpatient Preparation Instructions:
- If you are breast-feeding, pregnant or think you are pregnant, you must inform Radiology before the date of your scan.
- You may take all your medications as usual.
- You abdomen must be free of barium.
For your convenience we may schedule more than one test on the same day. This can be confusing because the test may have different preparation instructions. If you are an outpatient and don’t understand the instructions, please call Radiology. If you are an inpatient the nursing staff will correlate your test with the preparation.
For Your Information:
The Radiologist (x-ray) doctor will read the scan and send the results to your doctor.
There is a charge for the isotope injection, which must be ordered before the scan. If it is necessary to cancel the scan, please call the Radiology Department at (419) 394-3335, extension 3528 as soon as possible.