Gastric Emptying Scan
The scan will determine how well food passes through your stomach.
- You will have to lie on your back for two hours for this scan.
- You will be required to eat an egg sandwich, oatmeal, or baby food that will contain a radioactive material before we place you under the scanner. Shortly after you eat the food, you will be placed under a special camera that will follow the food passage through your stomach.
Inpatient and Outpatient Preparation Instructions:
- If you are breastfeeding, pregnant or think you are pregnant, inform your doctor.
- Do not eat or drink anything 8 hours before the scan.
- Your stomach must be free of barium.
For your convenience we may schedule more than one test on the same day. This can be confusing because the test may have different preparation instructions. If you don’t understand the instructions, please call radiology. If you are an inpatient the nursing staff will correlate your test with the preparation.
For Your Information:
The Radiologist (x-ray) doctor will read the scan and send the results to your doctor.
There is a charge for the isotope, which must be ordered before the scan. If it is necessary to cancel the scan, please call the Radiology Department at (419) 394-3335, extension 3528 as soon as possible.