This scan evaluates the flow of urine through the kidneys down to the urinary bladder.
- You will receive an injection in your hand or arm. The injection is not a dye or contrast. The injection is a low level radioactive material and patients rarely have a reaction. If you are an inpatient you may be injected in your existing IV or INT.
- The scan takes 1 hour to complete.
Inpatient and Outpatient Preparation Instructions:
- If you are breast-feeding, pregnant, or think you are pregnant, you must inform your doctor.
- You must drink plenty of fluids prior to this scan (approximately 32 ounces).
- Your stomach must be free of barium.
- You may eat prior to the scan.
For your convenience we may schedule more than one test on the same day. This can be confusing because the tests may have different preparation instructions. If you are an outpatient and don’t understand the instructions please call Radiology. If you are an inpatient the nursing staff will correlate your test with the preparation.
For Your Information:
The Radiologist (x-ray doctor) will read the scan and send the results to your doctor.
There is a charge for the isotope injection that must be ordered before the scan. If it is necessary to cancel the scan, please call the Radiology department at 419-394-3335 extension 3528 as soon as possible.