CT Scan Sinuses, Orbits, Etc.
A C.T. (Computerized Tomography) Scan is a test that uses a computer to make an x-ray image or picture of a very thin section of the body.
- SELLA TURCIA
- POSTERIOR FOSSA
- FACIAL BONES
You will lie on a table that can be moved into the doughnut-like scanner opening. Your head may be held by a strap to keep you from moving during the scan. After your head is positioned, the camera inside the scanner will move around the part being tested. An x-ray picture will be taken, and the information processed by a computer so that your head can be viewed in thin cross-sectional slices. It is very important that you do not move during the scan as this may blur the picture. During the scan, you will hear clicking noises; these are normal scanner sounds.
Procedure time: Less than 30 minutes
Patient Preparation Instructions:
- No dietary prep for:
- Facial bones
- Blood Thinners (other) – Stop 3-5 days before exam.
- Nothing to eat or drink 2 hours before your exam:
- Sella Turcia
- Posterior Fossa: For these exams you may be injected with contrast (x-ray dye) if the Radiologist requests it.
- You may take normal medications.
For Your Information:
- Any woman who is pregnant, or thinks she might be, should let her doctor know before having the scan.
- Please inform the technologist of any known allergies.
- Hairpins, earrings, and necklaces will need to be removed before scanning.
- You may be asked to sign a consent form for the scan.
- Relax and follow the directions given to you by the CT Technologist. Please remember to lie still during the test to get a clear picture.
- You will be able to leave the x-ray department when the test is finished. Discharge instructions will be given to outpatients.
- The Radiologist (x-ray doctor) will “read” the scan and give the results to your doctor. Your doctor will share the results of this test with you in 2-3 days; feel free to ask the doctor if you have any questions.
- If you have any questions about getting ready for your test, please call 419-394-3335 ext. 3550 for assistance.