An Arthrogram is a special x-ray examination performed to visualize the soft tissue structures (non-bony structures like ligaments and cartilage) of any joint in the body. Examples: wrist, shoulder, elbow, hip, knee.
For most procedures, you will be asked to change into a hospital gown. You will then be taken into the x-ray room.
The technologist will use a solution to cleanse the skin of the joint to be examined. The Radiologist (x-ray doctor) may numb a small area close to the joint being examined and inject a small amount of contrast media (dye) into the joint space.
The Radiologist will use a fluoroscope (TV x-ray image) to take multiple x-rays.
Upon your dismissal we ask that you "pamper" your arm or leg for 24 hours after the procedure. The joint may feel "tight" for several hours following the procedure.
Procedure time: 30 minutes
Patient Preparation Instructions:
- Nothing to eat or drink 2 hours prior to the test.
- May take normal medications with a small amount of water.
- You may want someone available to drive you home following the test, if it becomes necessary (especially knee and hip arthrograms).
For Your Information:
- Any woman who is pregnant or thinks she might be should let her doctor know before having the x-ray.
- After registration you will go to an observation area prior to your exam. You will be asked to change into a gown and assessed prior to going to the Medical Imaging Department. You will be taken back to this area following your exam for follow-up assessment. You will be given instructions prior to being discharged.
- The Radiologist (x-ray doctor) will "read" the scan and give the results to your doctor. Your doctor will share the results with you in 2-3 days; feel free to ask the doctor if you have any questions.
- If you have any questions about your preparation, please call 419-394-3335 ext. 3550 for assistance.
To better assist us with your treatment, we are asking that you bring a list of your current medications and doses. This information is very valuable and will help us to provide you with the best, most timely service possible.