Founded By The Community It Serves
At the height of the Second World War, the local chapter of the American Legion saw the rising need for an area hospital in the Grand Lake Region. Soon after, a large-scale effort was started by community leaders to build and establish a medical center for the people of St. Mary’s, Noble, German, and Jackson Townships.
Giving area residents a choice in quality medical care close to home, Joint Township District Memorial Hospital opened its doors on May 5, 1953. At the time, the one-story facility housed 50 beds and employed 30 staff members.
Today, the hospital has grown to include over 800+ medical professionals, 150 physicians, 12 affiliates and 10 Centers of Excellence, but its commitment to providing exceptional quality medical care continues.
Prevention Through Education
Our deep commitment to the community does not end at our hospital and physicians’ offices. Through a wide variety of sponsored outreach programs, it is the goal of Grand Lake Health System to promote good health and prevent illness. Available to all area residents – not just patients – these convenient classes and services help educate and inform. Below are some highlighted examples of these programs and services.
- Running for nearly 20 years, Make Believe Hospital is a program that familiarizes young children with hospital procedures in a fun, relaxed way. This partnership with area schools sees over 1,000 visit annually.
- Free to everyone and available 24 hours a day, Call A Nurse puts you directly in touch with a friendly registered nurse specially trained to answer your health questions and if needed, find a doctor.
- Providing a variety of free general health screenings and access to testing for specific health problems, Health Fair is your traveling connection to Grand Lake Health System professional services.
The Rewards of Giving Back
Whenever and wherever possible, we believe in giving back to the community. The people of Grand Lake Health System commit their time and energy to countless non-profit organizations, charity events, and worthy causes in need. As we pledge our commitment to service, we invite you to join us and do what many area residents have already – become a volunteer or join our Auxiliary and one of its guilds. These dedicated workers play a vital role in the day-to-day operations and help in maintaining the level of quality care you deserve.
Charged with the responsibility of funding efforts for the entire health system, the JTD Hospital Foundation is a charitable non-profit organization that helps ensure the communities of Grand Lake Region receive the most reliable and affordable healthcare possible.
Spearheading past, present, and future efforts to improve and expand the Joint Township District Memorial Hospital, the Foundation is the vehicle for combined community support and funding. Its efforts have seen the completion of the Birthing Center, Emergency Room, Cardiac Center, and renovation of the hospital’s Transitional Care Unit/Inpatient Rehab Unit on the sixth floor. The Foundation continues to support the new Women’s Imaging Center and Hospice.
With Pride and Honor
As a person-first hospital, part of our responsibility is making sure you know that you can feel good about choosing us to take care of you and your family-to inspire your confidence. Recognition for quality and excellence from national ratings organizations like Healthgrades sets us apart from other hospitals and healthcare providers in the region and demonstates our ongoing commitment to your health and well-being.
Our History and Future
- 1944 The community effort to establish a hospital for the Grand Lake Region is started by Emil Marx, Elry Hudson, Charles Nott, and H.E. Krauss.
- 1946 A Board of Trustees is formed to establish a Joint Township Hospital District
- 1951 The hospital breaks ground.
- 1953 The Joint Township District Memorial Hospital opens.
- 1959 First expansion; 25-bed wing added.
- 1962 X-Ray and Laboratory expansion
- 1974 $2.5 million expansion – From a 75 to a 119-bed facility; 3-story tower constructed; coronary care, new surgery, and recovery areas added; emergency, X-ray, physical therapy, and lab services expanded.
- 1979 Dietary area added
- 1983 Major expansion with 3 new floors added to patient tower
- 1985 Jim Chick named President and CEO
- 1988 Wapakoneta Medical Center opened
- 1989 JTDMH begins operation of the Celina Medical Center
- 1990 Transitional Care Unit opens
- 1990 JTD Hospital Foundation established
- 1993 Joint Township Foundation holds first golf outing
- 1998 Major expansion of Outpatient programs
- 2002 New Birthing Center
- 2003 50th anniversary
- 2004 Grand Lake Regional Cancer Center opens
- 2005 Major capital campaign for hospital expansion
- 2005 New Emergency Center
- 2005 Expanded Outpatient Center
- 2005 New Cardiac Center
- 2005 Kevin Harlan becomes President and CEO
- 2006 Changes Joint Township Memorial Hospital and its affiliates to Grand Lake Health System
- Builds system wide awareness
- Leads in a number of system wide improvements
- Hospice care
- Women’s Digital Imaging
- 2007 Joint Township District Memorial Hospital named in the top 1% of all hospitals in U.S.
- Highly rated home health and ER services are among the best nationally.
- 2007 New Urgent Care Center opens
- 2007 Woman's Imaging Center
- 2008 Expanded Celina Family Medical Center
- 2008 New Wapakoneta facility
- 2008 Physicians’ affiliates in Minster
- 2008 6th Floor Renovation
- 2009 2nd Floor Renovation
- 2010 New Services:
- Grand Lake Vein Care Center
- Grand Lake Wound Care Center
- Grand Lake Sleep Center
- 2011 Completed renovation of 3rd floor for new Laboratory
- 2012 The Health System receives 16 HealthGrades quality recognitions
- 2012 5th Floor Renovation
- 2012 Dedicated Inpatient Comfort Suite created for hospice and other patients
- 2013 Healthgrades® recognized Joint Township District Memorial Hospital for exceptional quality in 16 different areas of care
- 2013 $4 million improvement of Ambulatory Surgery Unit
- 2013 TeamHealth receives physician contract for JTDMH Emergency Department and Urgent Care Center
- 2013 Opening of Grand Lake OB/GYN office in Celina
- 2013-14 Expansion and renovation of Miami & Erie Family Practice & Pediatrics in Minster
- 2014 Opening of New Day Pain Management Center in St. Marys
- 2014 Opening of Grand Lake Neurological Center in St. Marys
- 2014 Opening of Vanan ENT & Sinus Center in Celina
- 2014 Robert A. Warriner III, M.D. Center of Excellence Award given to Grand Lake Wound Care Center
As we look back over our past milestones and look ahead to future ones, we invite you to explore the entire website and discover why Grand Lake Health System is the region’s preferred choice in healthcare.