- To promote a wellness orientation to rehabilitation that goes along with the standard cognitive and physical goals established by the acute rehabilitation interdisciplinary team.
- To encourage survivors and their families to focus on their internal resources and establish realistic expectations for self-care.
- To provide stroke survivors and families with a supportive environment that encourages healthy acceptance of a new and changed realistic goal setting for the future.
- To clarify misconceptions about strokes, answer questions, and provide professional guidance in identifying appropriate resources.
- To provide an opportunity to share feelings, experiences and coping strategies with others in a similar situation as a way of assigning meaning to life after stroke.
- To provide a simple, uniform format for meetings that can be adapted in all types of community settings.
- To provide a balanced mix of physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual stimulation that fosters adaptation and growth.
Knowledge gives you the power to make decisions, to improve you or your loved one’s quality of life, to renew your inner strength with coping strategies, to have healthier living, to reconnect with society and trust in yourself to overcome limitations.
Several times a year we will have a speaker that will focus on related topics such as:
- types of strokes
- well being
- obesity prevention
- tobacco cessation
- living a healthy life style
Stroke Support Group Meetings
Joint Township District Memorial Hospital offers a Stroke Support Group on a regular monthly basis, at Joint Township Hospital. This support group meets on the third Tuesday of every month at 10:00 am in Conference Room 3. This group will be helping patients, families, and caregivers to understand multiple components of strokes such as: prevention, nutrition, physical/emotional effects, rehab needs, wellness, depression, and motivation.
For additional information contact: